Found a possible bug in MDS

image.png

UPDATE : Upvote the connect task

UPDATE : Tested on SQL 2016 CTP3.1

Today, working on Master Data Services 2014 (MDS) at a client, I ran into some strange behavior from both the MDS website and the MDS Excel Add-In.

For some reason there is a limit to the length on attributes in an entity, in my opinion there should not be limitations on the attribute length, as it should be up to the users to decide. Continue reading →

SQL Server 2014 CU5 Master Data Service Excel Addin

image This update was released yesterday, and it is a highly anticipated update, as it will introduce performance factor 4 in the Excel Addin.

This performance upgrade will come in very handy when working on larger datasets, and should speed the user experience up. Continue reading →

Minor bug in Data Explorer for Excel

Had a strange experience today. Was using Excel 2013 and Data Explorer to do some exploration of data for our Client, but no matter what I did, I got the same error from the Add-in. I was trying to get data from their SQL database an into Excel, but every time I tried Excel returned the following Error : “The Evaluation terminated unexpectedly”.

This made me curious, because this had worked earlier when I connected to my own SQL database. So what was different in this case?

Well it turns out that the bug is in Excel when using the RUNAS command parameter when starting Excel. This is what I do, as I use my own laptop on their network, but still have an domain account for the clients network. 

So I use the following solution for getting access to servers in their network.

C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /netonly /user:HEARING\ADUser “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\EXCEL.EXE”

James Kovacs (Twitter|Blog) has written a good blog entry on the topic of RUNAS on a client network

But for some reason this is not supported when working with Data Explorer, so what I did was taking data from SSMS and copy it to excel and then use that datatable in Excel as a source for my Data Explorer.

Here is the link that made it all clear for me. Data Explorer not working with the “RUNAS” command