Minor bug in Data Explorer for Excel

Had a strange experience today. Was using Excel 2013 and Data Explorer to do some exploration of data for our Client, but no matter what I did, I got the same error from the Add-in. I was trying to get data from their SQL database an into Excel, but every time I tried Excel returned the following Error : “The Evaluation terminated unexpectedly”.

This made me curious, because this had worked earlier when I connected to my own SQL database. So what was different in this case?

Well it turns out that the bug is in Excel when using the RUNAS command parameter when starting Excel. This is what I do, as I use my own laptop on their network, but still have an domain account for the clients network. 

So I use the following solution for getting access to servers in their network.

C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /netonly /user:HEARING\ADUser “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\EXCEL.EXE”

James Kovacs (Twitter|Blog) has written a good blog entry on the topic of RUNAS on a client network

But for some reason this is not supported when working with Data Explorer, so what I did was taking data from SSMS and copy it to excel and then use that datatable in Excel as a source for my Data Explorer.

Here is the link that made it all clear for me. Data Explorer not working with the “RUNAS” command